If anyone asks me, what’s my hobby, I will say travel! I need to visit places and see new things. I cannot stay at home for too long. So when it comes to packing for a trip, I have my check-list prepared well in advance. I admit that I am organizing freak! I have lists, checklists, to-do lists and whatever I list I can think of. I think it’s a great way to be efficient and not forgetting the important things.
When I am planning a holiday, I prepare a what-to-pack list after booking my flights and hotels. I categorize the items, so it’s easier to pack them together.
The first thing to do is to pick the right luggage. Decide if a suitcase or a backpack is better for you and what type of hand carry will be convenient for you to carry around. Then list down your items into different groups.
Here’s a guide on how to categorize and pack for your trip:
1) Documents and money – This goes to the top of the list because you’re not going on a holiday without any of these!
Passport, visa, personal ID cards, flight tickets, train tickets, bus tickets, hotel reservations, credit cards, insurance, and cash. Pack them in your carry-on bag.
Also, don’t forget your frequent flyer cards, loyalty cards, travel guides and copies of your documents.
2) Clothes – Depending on where you are going and the weather conditions, pack accordingly.
Packing for a summer vacation is easy. You need light clothing like shorts, skirts, and t-shirts. Cotton tops and bottoms are great for sunny weather. If you’re planning to braze the winter, then don’t forget your winter jacket, gloves, socks, scarf, earmuffs, cap, and thermal wear. Pack your sweaters and turtle-necks along with the right pair of bottoms.
3) Swimsuits, ski-suits and other gear and accessories that you will need, depending on where you are going.
4) Shoes, slippers, and boots.
If you are heading for a beach vacation, slip-on is the perfect footwear.
Keep a pair of socks together with your boots, so you don’t forget them.
5) Toiletries – pack enough for the duration of your stay. A separate toiletry bag is useful to carry soaps, shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer, toothbrush, toothpaste, toner, sun-block, wet wipes, hand sanitizer, shaving kit and facial cotton.
Bring towels and hand towels along too.
Carry an additional smaller travel toiletry pack in your carry-on bag for emergencies or to use during stopovers.
6) Medication – have a set of medical supplies that you may need so you won’t have to visit a doctor or a pharmacy while traveling.
Pain and fever tablets, cold medication, lozenges, laxatives, diarrhea medication, motion-sickness medication, allergy medication and personal prescriptions.
Bring along mosquito repellants if you might need them.
Cold creams and winter moisturizers will be useful when the temperatures drop.
Prepare and bring along a mini first-aid kit with bandages, plasters, and gauze.
7) Make-up and accessories. Ladies, you need to look good every day!
Pack that chili red lipstick and mascara.
Bring along your hoops and funky necklaces. Sunglasses
Don’t forget your moisturizers, facial oils, and masks.
8) Gadgets – your mobile device is, of course, the most important. Remember to pack the other necessary gadgets like your phone chargers, memory cards, headphones, travel adapters, Go-pro video camera, power bank, selfie sticks and your camera.
9) Travel comfort – bring along you neck-pillow, blanket, eye mask, and reading materials if it’s a long journey.
10) Other travel essentials – this is my fixed list of items that I carry for every trip.
Lock and keys, zip-lock bags, mints.
Now that you have this checklist, it’s time for your holiday. If you haven’t planned a trip yet, get on the web now and start booking one!